Monday, March 23, 2015

Flying Without a Wingman Doom

Have you ever found yourself alone in a social situation where someone has cornered you and is talking up a storm about something you have absolutely no interest in?  Or better yet, the person irritates you beyond belief but  you just can't seem to extricate yourself from the situation.

That's where a wingman comes into play.  And when I say "wingman" I mean man or woman.  It's just a term.

Ok, I admit, it's a pretty mild doom in general but if you've already got social anxiety like me, that brings the feeling of doom up a notch or two.

See a lot of us go into social situations with a wingman.  A friend or significant other with whom you have the agreement to rescue each other from said awkward situations.  A simple look in their direction is often enough to have them come and take you away from what is sure to be the most boring and/or irritating conversation ever.  But with no wingman you're stuck, frantically thinking of a way to escape, ready to chew off a foot, and looking for a way out.

Unfortunately the only example I can think of is the time when someone cornered me at my late husband's funeral and began talking to me about god know's what.  AND THEY WOULDN'T STOP. Luckily my sister must have noticed my blank face because she rescued me.  Just when I thought I was without a wingman, she saved me!

Ok, ok, so there are a lot of people out there who are confident or blunt enough not to need a wingman.

I am not such a person.

I needs me a wingman.

Have you been caught without your wingman?  I'd love to hear about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment